Re: my experience upgrading from exim3 to 4

On 2004-03-14, Vineet Kumar penned:

> That part about the process on port 25 is a bit strange, but having
> the init scripts in place shouldn't be a problem.  Init scripts hang
> around when you remove (without purging) a package, but they usually
> begin with something like
>
> DAEMON=/usr/lib/exim/exim3 test -x $DAEMON || exit 0
>
> So if the package is removed the init script will simply exit.  So
> having it invoked at startup shouldn't be a problem, since it just
> exits without doing anything.

Ah!  Good point.  I just checked the script; you're right.  Okay, so,
that wasn't a problem.  I'm still glad I got rid of 'em.  I'm sure the
naming convention (exim rather than exim3) would confuse me at some
point.  ("But I changed the exim files and nothing's different!")

> As for the old exim hanging around on that port, that's strange.  It
> sounds like it didn't die completely, or perhaps you were spawning it
> from inetd and inetd hadn't restarted completely?

It looks like you're probably right; /etc/inetd.conf has a change time
from about when I upgraded.  But you'd think the exim3 install would
realize it had started itself from inetd and restart it.  However, since
all the bug reports on exim3 seem to be at least half a year old, I
don't think it's worth it to report.

I should have thought to restart inetd anyway.  Silly me.

> Either way, I find 'sudo netstat -ntlp' a very valuable command in
> such situations.  Hang onto that for next time.

Indeed!  I used netstat -a, but that's much harder to decipher.

--
monique