Re: installation problems

Hello

Arron Kau (<kaus@centurytel.net>) wrote:

> I managed to get Debian installed on my desktop, but I can't get X to
> run. I get a failed to find display device error.
> [...]
> 128 MB Nvidia Geforce Ti 4200
>
> I did some research and it seemed the best way to get nvidia driver
> compatability was to upgrade to testing/unstable and recompile the
> kernel.

That is about the worst way I can imagine - upgrading will help because
the newer versions of XFree support your card, while XFree 4.1 in
Debian 3.0 does not. Compiling a new kernel won't help at all.

> Needless to say, I managed to make my machine completely
> unusable after the first attempt at my own kernel compile. Is there
> any other way for me to get X to run?

There are three ways:

1. Use the VESA driver. It will work with all modern cards, however it
probably misses some of the features your card offers. Has no hardware
3D acceleration

2. Upgrade to a newer version of XFree. XFree 4.3 should support your
card with the NV driver. You can get some backported XFree packages for
your system. Go to <http://www.apt-get.org> to find them. Add the
correct line to your /etc/apt/sources.list. The package management will
do the rest. Most of your system will stay stable this way. Note that
the NV driver also does not offer you hardware 3D acceleration

3. Get the linux driver from <http://www.nvidia.com>. It will work with
the XFree version in Debian 3.0. Do the following:

apt-get install build-essential kernel-headers-$(uname -r)

Next execute the downloaded driver archive:

sh NVIDIA-something \
--kernel-include-path=/usr/src/kernel-headers-$(uname-r)

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674
Registered Linux User #267976