installation problems

Hi,

I am a completely new user to the GNU/Linux community. I have a couple of questions.

I managed to get Debian installed on my desktop, but I can’t get X to run. I get a failed to find display device error.

Athalon 2400 XP

768 RAM

80G HD

128 MB Nvidia Geforce Ti 4200

17in Sony Trinitron Display

I did some research and it seemed the best way to get nvidia driver compatability was to upgrade to testing/unstable and recompile the kernel. Needless to say, I managed to make my machine completely unusable after the first attempt at my own kernel compile. Is there any other way for me to get X to run?

Thanks for the help.

Noob