Re: Next stable release: 13 CD's

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 15:49:10 +0100
Kai Grossjohann <kgrossjo@eu.uu.net> wrote:

> Beretta <invalid@invalid.org> writes:
>
> > How in God's name is it an obstacle? Who the hell needs all 13 CD's?
> > Are you planning on installing every single binary package there is?
>
> I don't know about you, but the idea of
>
>   - buy CD 1 via mail order
>   - wait a week for it to arrive
>   - start Debian installation
>   - want to install application X
>   - find out which CD contains application X
>   - buy CD Y via mail order
>   - wait a week for it to arrive
>   -...
>
> doesn't sound too exciting for me.  Especially the "wait a week" bits.

Yes, but why in the hell would you do that, either?  Why wouldn't it
be:

- buy CD 1 via mail order
- wait a week for it to arrive
- start Debian installation, which then completes itself over the network
	after the base system is installed.

> So, *if* somebody decides to buy via mail order, *then* surely
> anything but "the full set of all CDs" doesn't make sense.

If you have some commitment to doing everything the hard way,
sure, I guess.

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)