Re: crontab jobs not running?

Nitebirdz <nitebirdz@sacredchaos.com> writes:
> I recently installed Woody on a home server, proceeded to add a couple of
> scripts to the "/var/spool/cron/crontabs/root" file by running the usual
> 'crontab -e' as root, and they never appear to run.  Am I supposed to do
> this differently?  Sorry about what may sound like a very stupid question,
> but I recently switched from Red Hat where one configures crontab the way
> I explain here.
>
> Just in case, here is the information I was adding:
>
> # Run mkbackup script three times a week at 2:30 in the morning
> 30 2 * * Tue,Thu,Sun root /root/bin/mkbackup
> # Run mkreport every night at 1:00 AM
> 0 1 * * * root /usr/local/sbin/mkreport.deb -o root

Both lines try to run a command "root". This is probably not what you
want.

For the syntax of user crontabs (which is different from the syntax of
/etc/crontab), see "man 5 crontab".

Martin

--
   ,--.    Martin Dickopp, Dresden, Germany                 ,= ,-_-. =.
  / ,- )   http://www.zero-based.org/                      ((_/)o o(\_))