Re: quick help - kernel won't build

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 the mental interface of
s. keeling told:

> Incoming from Frank Gevaerts:
> > On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 04:45:38PM +0100, Simmel wrote:
> > >
> > > could you please help me out with this. I got a stable system running woody
> > > and I'd like to build a new kernel.... I've done this a dozen times with
> > > this page http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-kernel.en.html
> >
> > Why do you put --append_to_version there ? I would use:
> > make-kpkg --revision rev.01 kernel_image
>
> Because if you ask five Debian kernel builders, you'll get five
> different answers:
>
>   --revision
>
>   --append-to-version
>
>   --version

$cat /etc/kernel-pkg.conf

# This file is used by kernel-package (>2.0) to provide a means of the site
[...]

# The maintainer information.
maintainer := Elimar Riesebieter
email := riesebie@lxtec.de

# Priority of this version (or urgency, as dchanges would call it)
priority := Low

# This is the debian revision number (defaulted to 1.0 in debian.rules)
# You may leave it commented out if you use the wrapper script, or
# if you create just one kernel-image package per linux kernel revision
debian := 1lxtec0

and you only need to:

$fakeroot make-kpkg kernel_image modules_image

and your version will be set to 1lxtec0 in _my case_.

In /usr/src/linux/ you can do a dch -i and provide some infos about
your own kernel build in changelog, and the version will be count
to 1lxtec1.

It is just easy as it is ;-)

Ciao

Elimar