quick help - kernel won't build

Hi Party people,

could you please help me out with this. I got a stable system running woody
and I'd like to build a new kernel.... I've done this a dozen times with
this page http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-kernel.en.html

I always use point 7.11 and had no problems what so ever. But on this system
the fakeroot part is mockering around giving me back this
error.....................

riker:/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.19# fakeroot
make-kpkg --append_to_version --revision=rev.01 kernel_image
 Error: The extended version may only contain
 lowercase alphanumerics and  the  characters  - +  .
 The current value is: --revision=rev.01
 Aborting.

I'd like to use 2.4 but the kernel I use now is 2.2, may that be the
problem. A make kpkg-clean works.... And the revision only contain alpha no.
and a . so what's wrong here? What am I missing????

Thanks for the quick help,
Simmel