Re: Next stable release: 13 CD's

Beretta wrote:
On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 02:00:19 +0100, Tom Allison <tallison@tacocat.net> wrote:

<snip>

But even if we are looking at a full 13 x 700 MB = 9100 MB at a relatively slow 5 minutes per megabyte it would take you less than a week to download the entire distribution.

<snip>

What kinda math is that? <grin>

5 mins per meg * 9100 MB =  45,500 minutes

45,500 minutes / 60 min per hour = 758 hours

758 hours / 24 hours in a day = 31 days.

That's a solid month.

Try again.......

Right on. But this presumes that all you do is download at 5 mins/MB which you don't: the ISP goes down, while you are sleeping and the next morning you find out.

Woody took 3 weeks for 7 CD's this will take double: 6 weeks. And if you use jigdo, this from the jigdo page:

Unfortunately, even with persistent HTTP connections, the download speed will not be as high as that of a single-file ISO download. Such speeds can only be achieved with HTTP pipelining - the jigdo GUI application will support pipelining.

So who knows how much more than 6 weeks if you use jigdo. I know, I don't need the 13 CD's, but read my qeury further down on how you find that what you want is on a CD that you didn't get and the reason I want CD's is that I don't have to use the net.

Hugo.