Re: Kernel make-kpkg problem And Answer

On Sun, Mar 14, 2004 at 10:11:28PM -0500, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> Mark F. Mangano wrote:
> >Finally got it working. Turns out there was some problem compiling 2.6.3
> >with gcc-3.3; when I changed the /usr/bin/gcc symlink back to the older
> >gcc-2.95, it compiled fine.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Mark.
> >

> I don't think that was the problem:
>
> $ gcc --version
> gcc (GCC) 3.3.3 (Debian 20040314)
>
> I have been rolling my own 2.6 kernels for months now,
> and gcc 3.3 hasn't had a single problem.  You may want
> to investigate further.

I also noticed problems akin to this the first time I tried (a stock
kernel.org 2.6.1) 2.6 kernel.  I changed the Makefile to use 2.95 and it
works fine.  Also, the current Documentation/Changes file recommends
2.95 still (although gcc 3.x seems to have progessed since this was last
updated).  FWIW I think it was gcc 3.3-1 that I was using, so not as new
as yours.

(from Documentation/Changes):

The recommended compiler for the kernel is gcc 2.95.x (x >= 3), and it
should be used when you need absolute stability. You may use gcc 3.0.x
instead if you wish, although it may cause problems. Later versions of gcc
have not received much testing for Linux kernel compilation, and there are
almost certainly bugs (mainly, but not exclusively, in the kernel) that
will need to be fixed in order to use these compilers. In any case, using
pgcc instead of plain gcc is just asking for trouble.

--

Chris Harris <charris@rtcmarketing.com>
GNU/Linux --- The best things in life are free.