Re: Next stable release: 13 CD's

Chris Metzler wrote:
On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 08:32:56 -0600
John Hasler <john@dhh.gt.org> wrote:

Colin Watson writes:

No, it's not, because you very likely don't need them all. It's not as
if the installer requires registration of all 13 before it lets you do
anything else.

Most potential users don't know that.

Well, it doesn't make much sense to me to put up a page with installation
instructions ("You only need Disk #1 to install the base system...") for
a release that doesn't exist and isn't imminent.  Presumably, when there
actually is a release, this fact will be publicized -- like it was for
Woody, which was 7 CDs but didn't require them all either.

-c

I hear everybody saying "But you don't need the 13 cd's". OK, I don't need the 13 CD's. But I have x CD's and have them registered with apt-cdrom. Now I want a package Y. Synaptic or whatever won't show it because it isn't on the CD's. Where do I now find "Dummy, the package is on CD #z which you did not download!"?

Hugo.