Re: dpkg problem (vs. apt-get)

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 02:05:38PM +0100, Simmel wrote:
> < I tried installing a package (sane) but got:-
>
> Uhm, why don't you use apt-get install <package> instead? Do you don't like
> it or already tried it with apt-get?

That's unlikely to work given his error message. Remember, apt-get and
every single other Debian package management frontend ultimately uses
dpkg.

> Give it a try, In my eyes dpkg suxxx big time and is, erm well,
> "usefull" to reconfigure already installed packages, e.g.
> dpkg-reconfigure samba, webmin, whatever

dpkg and dpkg-reconfigure don't even come from the same package. They're
completely separate save for the (some might say confusing) name. But
just you try to run a Debian system without dpkg.

Cheers,