Re: dpkg problem

On Sat, Mar 13, 2004 at 01:58:13PM +0000, Richard Kimber wrote:
> I tried installing a package (sane) but got:-
>
> dpkg-query: parse error, in file `/var/lib/dpkg/status' near line 58406
> package `libnss3': `Replaces' field, reference to `mozilla-psm': version
> contains ` '
> dpkg: parse error, in file `/var/lib/dpkg/status' near line 58406 package
> `libnss3':
>  `Replaces' field, reference to `mozilla-psm': version contains ` '
> Ack!  Something bad happened while installing packages.  Trying to
> recover:
> dpkg: parse error, in file `/var/lib/dpkg/status' near line 58406 package
> `libnss3':
>  `Replaces' field, reference to `mozilla-psm': version contains ` '
>
> I tried removing mozilla but got the same error.  What should I do now?

/var/lib/dpkg/status is corrupt. Can you dig an older version out of
/var/lib/dpkg/status-old or /var/backups/dpkg.status.*, perhaps? Check
for differences with the current version before just copying it into
place, and keep a copy of the corrupt version at least until your system
is back in order.

Cheers,