Swiss Keyboard? (woody and sarge)

Hi

I hope somebody can help me with the following strange problem.

I know about wrong settings in XF86Config-4 with keyboards and I know it will work or not consequently, but at the moment I experience only a part of this problem. I have an IBM ThinkPad with a swiss-german keyboard.

On the console, ä, ö, ü and Alt-Gr work perfectly, they still do in the gdm-login-screen. As soon as I am in X, they don't work in a terminal. They work within other programs like OpenOffice, FireFox and many others, but not in a terminal (gnome-terminal, xterm etc.).

The most annoying problem is, that they do not work in the compose window of my favorite mail-client (sylpheed) eighter, where I really need them. They work in the Address and Subject-field of the compose window, but not in the message field.

The keyboard section in XF86Config-4 contains:
- XkbRules    "xfree86"
- XkbModel    "pc102"
- XkbLayout   "de_CH"

Where else do I need to make settings?

I'm running woody and sarge on this machine, the problem is exactly the same!

Thank you very much for any help or advise.

Martin