Re: debian-user-digest Digest V2004 #879

On Monday 15 March 2004 00:19, debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org
wrote:
> Are all the following going to be removed too? (not clear with the []
> parenthesis).

I am not clear either. Said 7 to be removed but then lists all those others in
brackets.

> x-window-system and x-window-system-core are virtual dependency
> packages so you don't really need them.

Figured this much. Never had them before until last week :-)

> xlibmesa-gl and xlibmesa-dri are being replaced by the new package
> (which provides xlibmesa-gl iirc).

Will this monster work? BTW, an upgraded agpgart behaves far differently in
kernel to see if 2.4 version will work now. Panics in boot--maybe should
rerun lilo. Maybe time to leave 2.4 behind?

> The dev files are a problem. They depend on specific versions of the
> originals which is why they are being removed. They are needed to
> compile some things not for standard operation. The main issue IIRC is
> that libqt3-mt-dev is needed for make xconfig under 2.6, but you can do
> make gconfig instead.

Needed for most other compiles as well. I rarely get it work but....

> Another option is to open the xlibmesa-gl-dev package and remove the
> version dependency in it (problematic but works). IIRC all the other
> problematic devs are through a dependency with that one

apt-get --ignore-dependancies ??