Re: sarge installer ver. 03/10/2004

On Friday 12 March 2004 23:44, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> steef wrote:
> > Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> I have reported this also in the bugreports, but I get the impression
> >> that that is a bottomless pit somehow.
> >>
> >> Using the 03/10/2004 iso image of the installer I tried to use it.
> >>
> >> If you just press enter on boot he cycles himself through the steps.
> >>
> >> Problems started in "Partition disks". They are already partitioned
> >> and I don't want more partitioning. But that option he doesn't seem to
> >> like.
> >>
> >> Then you have to select the next step manually. Went to "Configure and
> >> Mount Partitions" and selected one as root.
> >>
> >> He then installed the base system and kernel but the latter failed
> >> because mkinitrd could not determine the root device.
> >>
> >> Anybody have any ideas on how to get it to run?
> >>
> >> Hugo.
> >
> > recognize your first mentioned problem. indeed: the installer does not
> > like too much self-initiative. a pity.
> >
> > on my machine i got the sarge-installer running after manually selecting
> > a root partition __and___  defining the file-type manually. (this after
> > ' partitioning' of course) did you do so too?  i could not make that up
> > out of your message.
> >
> > steef
>
> Steef:
>
> No, I did not partition. The reason is I want to install on an existing
> partition: there is no reason to partition. I thought maybe that should
> be an option there? (Kind of like Mondo: he asks too whether you want to
> partition and "no" is a valid answer).

yep: i guess you are right. one or two clear steps more in the form of
questions could be illuminating for an ' innocent'  user. indeed one step a
question if one wants to install (or not) on (one) extisting partition(s);
the other to make more clear the choices one can make for filesystems: i.c.
ext 2, ext 3, reiserfs.

> I can't tell whether that refusal to partition is a problem, it stops
> the autoadvance of the menu but I will try defining the file type in
> config and mount partitions, like you said and see what that does.

allright: on my side i'll do exactly as you did on my 'exercise'  hd. see
what happens.

> I have reported it as problem 224758 but I am uncertain whether those
> are looked at because there are so many problems reported and there is
> such a big difference between beta2 and this version of 3/10/04.

that is correct as far as i can judge from out here.  seems to be crowded
with bugs: is still in full development

> I also subscribed to the debian-boot list and reported it there as Colin
> sugested but that discussion is way above my head.

that is a fine suggestion of colin, allthough that kind of remarks in me
causes some (proverbial dutch/friesian) stubbornness to go on with it.

> Thanks for the response.
>
> Hugo

you are welcome, and if you wish so I' ll let you know.

steef