Re: using mingetty

chomiak@charter.net said:
> I've been trying to substitute with mingetty on my system; am using debian
> ustable but am using the testing version of util-linux because with the
> unstable package of util-linux I still have "respawning too fast" issues
> when I log out.
> I tried substituting "mingetty" for "getty" in all the places in
> /etc/inittab. However, when I reboot, the system stops after apparently

You can't do this because mingetty doesn't take the 38400 speed
argument. If you want to replace getty with mingetty or fgetty, you need
to replace each instance of "getty 38400".

> having started up most of the processes it usually starts, and I get
> "init: no more processes left at this runlevel."
> Is there something else I need to change in order to use mingetty?
> Thanks.

You want something like this in /etc/inittab:

	$ grep fgetty /etc/inittab
	1:2345:respawn:/sbin/fgetty tty1 --noclear
	2:23:respawn:/sbin/fgetty tty2 --noclear
	3:23:respawn:/sbin/fgetty tty3 --noclear
	4:23:respawn:/sbin/fgetty tty4 --noclear
	5:23:respawn:/sbin/fgetty tty5 --noclear
	6:23:respawn:/sbin/fgetty tty6 --noclear

(feel free to use mingetty if you want, but fgetty's the same thing and
even smaller).

Then:

kill -HUP 1
killall getty

should kill all your running gettys and have init replace them with
fgettys.

Jason