using mingetty

I've been trying to substitute with mingetty on my system; am using debian
ustable but am using the testing version of util-linux because with the
unstable package of util-linux I still have "respawning too fast" issues
when I log out.
I tried substituting "mingetty" for "getty" in all the places in
/etc/inittab. However, when I reboot, the system stops after apparently
having started up most of the processes it usually starts, and I get
"init: no more processes left at this runlevel."
Is there something else I need to change in order to use mingetty?
Thanks.

--
Cheryl