Re: udev and fb

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 07:10:05 +0100, Jason A Whittle wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 02:08:52PM -0800, Ken Bloom wrote:
>> On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 22:30:18 +0100, Jason A Whittle wrote:
>> > Everything seems to be working fine, but my terms are all at the default
>> > resolution. I know that fbset used to be used to set the framebuffer
>> > terminal resolution, but it seems that with udev, the /dev/fb[0-9] devices
>> > no longer exist. Is there a way to get around this, or does everyone
>> > simply use xterms these days?
>>
>> What framebuffer driver are you using? I'm using vesa, and it doesn't
>> create framebuffer device files, even though udev does have a rule. But
>
> Interesting. I'd like to RTFM, but the FrameBuffer HOWTO was last updated
> in 2000, and reading over it, it doesn't strike me as terribly relevant to
> my situation. Is there a better source of information you could recommend?
>
>> IIRC, fbset isn't supposed to work with vesa, because the vesa framebuffer
>> doesn't let you change the resolution except at startup.
>
> Do you give vesafb its resolution in lilo.conf or elsewhere? I assume
> vesafb is the default, but how do I know for sure what framebuffer driver
> I'm using?

I use grub, so I use the vga= kernel parameter. The equivalent in lilo
would be:
	append=" vga=788"

You can find out what framebuffer driver you are using by looking at the
output from dmesg.

(BTW, I genuinely don't know whether the vesa framebuffer driver is
supposed to be able to interact with the /dev/fb[0-9] devices - there
might be a kernel bug in this regard.)

>> > Also, does anyone know how the fbgetty package differs from the default
>>
>> in /etc/issue than the standard getty) but the number one reason I use it
>> is because it doesn't have a certain bug that the default getty has (which
>> makes it take a while to re-spawn a new getty after logout).
>
> Sounds reasonable. Is there anything to installing fbgetty besides
> 'apt-get install fbgetty'?

You'll have to edit /etc/inittab so that it actually uses /sbin/fbgetty
instead of /sbin/getty (because /sbin/getty isn't an alternative the way
most substitute packages are - it's a real binary because it's so
essential to getting the system up and running). You'll also want to edit
/etc/issue (after looking at fbgetty's manpage) because its placeholders
there are different.