Re: udev and fb

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 22:30:18 +0100, Jason A Whittle wrote:

> I've been avoiding using framebuffer for the terminals since fb support
> was mainstreamed into the i386 kernel, and simply setting the term
> resolution in lilo.conf. It seems that framebuffers are the way of the
> future, and may even be The Right Thing, so when I recently installed
> sarge on new hardware, I didn't pass anything to the kernel to disable the
> framebuffer.
>
> Everything seems to be working fine, but my terms are all at the default
> resolution. I know that fbset used to be used to set the framebuffer
> terminal resolution, but it seems that with udev, the /dev/fb[0-9] devices
> no longer exist. Is there a way to get around this, or does everyone
> simply use xterms these days?

What framebuffer driver are you using? I'm using vesa, and it doesn't
create framebuffer device files, even though udev does have a rule. But
IIRC, fbset isn't supposed to work with vesa, because the vesa framebuffer
doesn't let you change the resolution except at startup.

> Also, does anyone know how the fbgetty package differs from the default
> setup?

I know I've seen it flash the screen doing something when I switch between
virtual consoles, (and I also know it has a different collection of tags
in /etc/issue than the standard getty) but the number one reason I use it
is because it doesn't have a certain bug that the default getty has (which
makes it take a while to re-spawn a new getty after logout).

--Ken Bloom