Re: udev, scanner and memory stick

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 03:20:07 +0100, Antonio Rodriguez wrote:

> Installed udev and lost my mouse, stick and scanner. I found the mouse
> when I started looking around and placed "misc" between /dev and
> /psaux. But I haven't figured out yet where the stick and the scanner
> could possibly be. Another question: /etc/fstab doesn't seem to be of
> much help now. All the indicated /dev/* have disappeared. (¿?)

One of the nice things about udev is that you can look for the differences
in /dev when the device is loaded and when it is unloaded (at least for
usb devices), and those are the device files that relate to the device.

The usb devices are probably somewhere in /dev/scsi - when you find it,
you should create a custom rule to give the devices a descriptive name
somewhere.

I also had to manually modprobe sd_mod before my usb mass storage devices
(my digital camera) would show up. It seems that hotplug missed that
module. After I proved that worked, I put sd_mod in /etc/modules