Re: What is the minimum RAM needed for 2.4?

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 08:19:41AM -0600, Preston Boyington wrote:
| I haven't seen a minimum, but I was wondering since there are a
| couple of 133's here with 32meg of ram that I want to update.

I used to have a machine with 8MB RAM running with a 2.4 kernel.  It
thrashed a lot (well, -anything- thrashes with only 8MB RAM) but
worked.  Now that machine has 48MB RAM and a 2.6 kernel.

| Also, are any "gotchas" I need to be aware of with this kernel
| migration?  Current Googling only speaks of adding a line in
| /etc/lilo.conf to say "initrd=/initrd.img" (sans quotes) but I am
| still looking.

You might need to load some modules or some details of some module may
have changed.  When I did the 2.2->2.4 upgrade I discovered I had to
load the 'ide-cd' module or the cd drive was not usable.  (it wasn't a
separate module with the 2.2 packages)

| Worst case I want to be able to boot the old kernel if I fudge up
| the 2.4 install.

This is always a good practice.  Don't remove the old until you are
satisfied with the new.

HTH,
-D

--
A mouse is a device used to point at the xterm you want to type in.
  --Kim Alm, a.s.r