Re: What is the minimum RAM needed for 2.4?

Hello

Preston Boyington (<PBoyington@polyengineering.com>) wrote:

> I haven't seen a minimum, but I was wondering since there are a couple
> of 133's here with 32meg of ram that I want to update.  They are
> currently running kernel 2.2.20 which I want to upgrade to whatever is
> the latest kernel-image available (adding a wireless card to one and
> it was suggested I upgrade the kernel).

Seems the 2.4.18-1.586tsc or maybe 2.4.18-1.686 packages are what you
need (if you use Woody).

> Also, are any "gotchas" I need to be aware of with this kernel
> migration?  Current Googling only speaks of adding a line in
> /etc/lilo.conf to say "initrd=/initrd.img" (sans quotes) but I am
> still looking.

If you install the new kernel with apt or dpkg, you only have to tell
lilo to use the initrd and run lilo. However, it is possible that -
depending on which 2.2.20 kernel you used - some of the drivers you
need were compiled into the old kernel, but are compiled as modules for
the new kernel. In that case make sure you load the drivers you need
(e.g. for network cards).

> Worst case I want to be able to boot the old kernel if I fudge up the
> 2.4 install.

In the stdnadrd configuration the old kernel will not be removed, and
you can choose which kernel to use at the lilo prompt. Maybe you have
to press shift+tab to make lilo ask you.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674
Registered Linux User #267976