Re: depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules (????huh)

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 11:18:37PM -0800, Roger Chrisman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> When custom compiling kernel 2.6.3, I got all these depmod *** notices:
>
> depmod: *** Unresolved sybmols in /lib/modules/2.6.3.20040305-orca
> /kernel/drivers/acpi/thermal.ko
>
> I read 'man depmod' and don't understand whether all this depmod output
> means my kernel install went well or badly. Installed the kernel and it seems
> to work okay.
>
> Did I do something wrong?
>
> Or something right?
>
> *worried*

You may want to heed the advice GCS gave you, but if you have m-i-t
installed, you might try booting under this kernel to see what happens.
I feel like there's a bug somewhere in depmod or _something_

I recently compiled a 2.4.25 kernel against kernel-patch-debian-2.4.25
and when I installed the kernel, along with alsa-modules, I got an error
saying "depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/.../ipv6.o"  I went so
far as to file a bug against kernel-patch before realizing that the
error occurs in the install of ALSA.

I after conversing with Herbert Xu, on the matter, I went ahead and
booted under the new kernel, modprobed ipv6, got no errors or whatever.
There is a bug along this line (can't remember if it's ipv6 or not), in
alsa, but mention is made that the bug _may_ be in depmod.

I showed only one error where you have quite a long list, so you could
have some problems, but you might try booting up and see what happens -
but be sure to keep a good kernel as an alternate.  If you can boot,
watching for modprobe errors while booting, try to modprobe all of the
modules reported as bad and see what happens.