Re: Advice: making the move to all-SCSI

> The kernel (2.4.24) is compiled with scsi and the necessary items so it
> should be able to boot from a SCSI disk.  My thought is to do this:
>
> - Install the new SCSI drive
> - Mount partitions as necessary and move files to their new locations
> (probably using tar cf - . | (cd /newdrive ; tar xf - ))
> - Edit lilo.conf
> - lilo
> - power down
> - Remove IDE drive
> - Cross fingers
> - Reboot

Don't forget to change the entry for '/' in /etc/fstab.

> My concern is with lilo. How do I tell it to install in the SCSI disk's
> MBR, not the current boot disk? In the past, it seems like I've had
> trouble with that process.

I have SCSI and have not even had to consider this; I believe it
installs to the MBR on the disk where the current '/' resides. Ah ..
no, I think there is a 'boot=/dev/sda' in lilo.conf. Yes, that's it.
Easiest is as follows:

	*) Modify your *existing* lilo configuration on the IDE disk
           to add a new option for booting the SCSI disk as root.

	*) rerun lilo

	*) Reboot.

	*) The IDE's MBR will load,  choose the just-added option to
           use the SCSI disk as root. (you will boot the SCSI disk as
           root, but it was booted via the IDE's MBR.)

	*) Add to this SCSI's root's lilo.conf entries for
	   'boot=/dev/sda' and 'root=/dev/sda1' or whatever for
           the root partition you just booted

	*) rerun lilo

	*) shutdown

	*) remove IDE disk