OT: marking email territory? (was: Re: exim - automatic signature)

Incoming from Antony Gelberg:

> I'm deploying exim for a customer.  Is there any way to automatically
> add a signature to all outgoing mail?  I've read the docs but as usual,

I'm curious; why would anyone want to do this?  Isn't all the relevant
information already in the headers?

I can see it for something like a mailing list (unsubscribe
instructions! :-), but why do companies feel a need to take ownership
of/deny liability for/??? every email sent from their system?  And if
they do, that would still be done better in headers, wouldn't it?

- -