Re: Knoppix 3.3 beats Debian sid badly in glxgears

Johann Spies wrote:

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 09:07:40AM -0600, Kent West wrote:
"glxinfo | more"

and then about the fourth line down to see if you have DRI enabled.

Thanks - also for the others for their answers.

A further question:  I see that DRI is not enabled for me.  How do I
enable it?
I have the following DRI-related entries in my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4:

Section "Module"
	Load	"GLcore"
	Load	"bitmap"
	Load	"dbe"
	Load	"ddc"
	Load	"dri"
	Load	"extmod"
	Load	"freetype"
	Load	"glx"
	Load	"int10"
	Load	"record"
	Load	"speedo"
	Load	"type1"
	Load	"vbe"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
	Mode	0666
EndSection

Maybe it is a hardware issue:

    *-display UNCLAIMED
            product: 82865G Integrated Graphics Device
            vendor: Intel Corp.
            physical id: 2
            bus info: pci@00:02.0
            version: 02
            size: 128MB
            clock: 33MHz
            capabilities: vga bus_master cap_list
            configuration: irq=16

Regards
Johann

I would suggest you keep posts on-list, as there are a lot of folks on the list that are smarter/more experienced than I am. By keeping the posts on-list, others have the opportunity to provide answers; others have the opportunity to learn from your experience. And perhaps most importantly, the posts get archived, so people with similar problems in the future can search for the answers in the archives.

Having said that . . .

getting DRI to work, in my experience, is a black art, darker even than the art necessary to get printers working in Linux (and that's saying quite a bit).

I also have a 82865G chipset, and I do not have DRI working on this box. I have no hope of getting DRI to work on this box any time soon. I have gotten DRI to work on other computers, but never reliably, and sometimes I'd experience system lock-ups (couldn't even ssh in), and sometimes I'd upgrade my system and get a new version of X and then DRI would die (ATI - arghghg!). It's just gotten to the point where I don't even bother trying anymore. Of course, that means that I have refrained from getting the gaming bug, because with DRI, many games, even TuxRacer, are unusable.

I think the most important thing is to have a good, well-supported video card. I've never had a box with a good video card.

--
Kent