Re: Sid Downloading; Error 404

darkxsun@ziplip.com wrote:

A friend is downloading Sid for me on his cable modem. He uses Jigdo to download the files and generate the iso's. Two discs out of 13 have completed. however, both are riddled with error 404's. The first has an error 404 of 41 missing files, the second 52. I don't know exactly what any of them are, as my friend didn't recognize the names. He was given the option of retrying those files on another server, but the other one he chose had the same errors. Is this normal? Should this happen? And will it affect my upgrade to Sid?
thanks
-bill

404 of course refers to the page/file not being found.

sid is constantly in flux, so keeping a mirror in tune with the current state of sid is probably difficult. So this symptom may be "normal", but ideally it should not happen. It may or may no affect your upgrade to sid, depending on what packages are affected and what you have on your system (assuming the CDs will even assemble for a burn).

I've not used jigdo enough to be familiar with it, and never with sid, so can't address specifics. Is there a reason you need the CDs? Is your network connection too slow for an upgrade (I've done it over a 2400baud modem a time or two - quite painful, but do-able)? Are you planning on doing more than one machine (in which case CDs would be convenient)? In other words, perhaps there's another way to upgrade without using the CDs.

--
Kent