Re: LDAP client configuration question

John Schmidt wrote:

On Monday 08 March 2004 05:23 pm, Kamaraju Kusumanchi wrote:

host k2.mae.cornell.edu

base o=cttg,c=US

ssl no

pam_password md5

regards
raju

You need to install libnss-ldap, libpam-ldap, and nscd. You should probably take a look at: http://people.debian.org/~torsten/ldapnss.html for more info. He talks both about the server and some client info. Actually, where he talks about doing libpam-ldap and libnss-ldap are relevant for the client.

John
Thanks for your help. I installed libnss-ldap, libpam-ldap, nscd. I am still not able to login using the accounts located on ldap server (k2). But I can login using the local accounts (say the local machine is kusumanchi).
But there is a bit a progress in the sense that, I can do

1)
rajulocal@kusumanchi:~$ finger raju
Login: raju                             Name: Kamaraju Kusumanchi
Directory: /home/raju                   Shell: /bin/bash
Never logged in.
No mail.
No Plan.

2)
rajulocal@kusumanchi:~$ id raju
uid=502(raju) gid=100(users) groups=100(users)

even though I cannot login into the raju account from console. (raju is a user on the LDAP server).

3) My /etc/nsswitch.conf looks as

passwd:         ldap compat
group:          ldap compat
shadow:         ldap compat

hosts:          files dns
networks:       files

protocols:      db files
services:       db files
ethers:         db files
rpc:            db files

netgroup:       nis

4) When I did apt-get install libpam-ldap, I was not asked any questions at all. But the documentation says it will ask some questions. I wonder if it is the case only with server?

thanks again
regards
raju