LDAP client configuration question

I am relatively newbie in LDAP area, so please excuse me if the question is not interesting.

We have an LDAP server up and running redhat 8. I know that the ldap server is functioning properly because I can access it from other redhat machines. But I am not able to access it from a client runnind Debian testing.

The configuration file I am using is as follows (I obtained this configuration file from the redhat machines). I would like to know what I have to do/read to set up this LDAP client. I have read the LDAP-HOWTO.html. From what I understood, it discusses only server setup but no discussion about client set up... I also browsed google but could not get anything useful (or may be wrong keywords)..

host k2.mae.cornell.edu

base o=cttg,c=US

ssl no

pam_password md5