Re: Config files for exim4 package.

* Adam Funk (a24061@yahoo.com)[20040308 09:07]:
> When I migrated to Debian a while back I wasn't too impressed with the
> configuration method for the exim4 package: a lot of little files
> in /etc/exim4/conf.d/ and a program to generate the real conf file.  I
> can see the advantages of this, but I had a perfectly good exim.conf
> file to reuse that I had carefully developed over some time.
>
> So I built Exim from source and installed an equivs package.  But now
> I'm wondering -- does the update program just cat all the bits together
> into exim.conf?  Could I have just deleted everything
> from /etc/exim4/conf.d/ and copied my own exim.conf file in there, so
> that the updater would effectively copy that file to the real one?

That's pretty much what it does, along with some variable
substitutions from /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf .

FYI, more recent packages use debconf to prompt about
whether to use lots of little files in conf.d or a
monolithic config file.  If you have a spare machine, you
might want to try the install and see how you like it
compared with your from-source install.  I think the exim4
packages are pretty good.

good times,
Vineet