Re: Curious about AOL users and this list

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 17:12:00 -0500
"Edward Chase" <echase3rd@cox.net> wrote:

> Anyone got a good guess why many AOL users end up asking non-Debian
> questions on this list?  I do realize that most AOL users are far from
> Internet savy, but how do they end up here?

I've never looked at the headers to attempt to verify whether these
posts actually come from AOL users.  I've always assumed that they
weren't really AOL users, but were just jerks fishing the mailing
list.  You try to be helpful and respond; they reply with a one or
two line confused question; you give them another detailed explanation
of something; they reply in such a way as to demonstrate that they
didn't understand you at all; you try again . . .and for minimal time
investment on their part, they've got you to waste an hour or so.
This happens a lot on Usenet.

But maybe I'm just being cynical.

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)