Re: Curious about AOL users and this list

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 18:52:50 -0500,
Chris Metzler <cmetzler@speakeasy.net> wrote in message
<[🔎] 20040308185250.2b7becbf.cmetzler@speakeasy.net>:

> On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 17:12:00 -0500
> "Edward Chase" <echase3rd@cox.net> wrote:
> >
> > Anyone got a good guess why many AOL users end up asking non-Debian
> > questions on this list?  I do realize that most AOL users are far
> > from Internet savy, but how do they end up here?
>
> I've never looked at the headers to attempt to verify whether these
> posts actually come from AOL users.  I've always assumed that they
> weren't really AOL users, but were just jerks fishing the mailing
> list.  You try to be helpful and respond; they reply with a one or
> two line confused question; you give them another detailed explanation
> of something; they reply in such a way as to demonstrate that they
> didn't understand you at all; you try again . . .and for minimal time
> investment on their part, they've got you to waste an hour or so.
> This happens a lot on Usenet.

..shill dance.  The idea is get you to tell'em go <4-letter> off, then
they get "proof that linux zealots are more dangerous to the US
President than Osama bin Laden".

> But maybe I'm just being cynical.

..reality produces cynicals.  And http://Groklaw.net.  ;-)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: