Re: kernels v2.6.x vs. /dev/nst0 ???

* David Goodenough <david.goodenough@btconnect.com> [2004:03:08:19:27:39+0000] scribed:
> On Monday 08 March 2004 18:57, Michael D Schleif wrote:
> > * Alexis Huxley <ahuxley@gmx.net> [2004:03:08:15:06:04+0000] scribed:

> > > Just because the device is visible on the SCSI bus, does not mean
> > > that the kernel knows how to operate it. My guess is that the
> > > new kernel does not have 'st' module compile in or available as
> > > a module which has been loaded.
> > >
> > > Run:
> > >
> > > 	grep _ST=  /boot/config-*
> > >
> > > to see if how the tape driver is compiled (y=in kernel, m=module, n=not
> > > compiled at all).
> > >
> > > If you see 'y' it should work, I hope you don't see that! :-)
> > >
> > > If 'm' then have you loaded the module? Try 'lsmod'. Do you see it
> > > listed?)
> > >
> > > If 'n' then you need to make a new kernel from sources.
> >
> > I will have to boot back into 2.6.3 later today.
> >
> > I am using the stock Debian kernel:
> >
> >    kernel-image-2.6.3-1-686
> >
> > From config-2.6.3-1-686:
> >
> >    #
> >    # SCSI device support
> >    #
> >    CONFIG_SCSI=m
> >    CONFIG_SCSI_PROC_FS=y
> >
> >    #
> >    # SCSI support type (disk, tape, CD-ROM)
> >    #
> >    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=m
> >    CONFIG_CHR_DEV_ST=m
>
> As ST is a module, have you tried loading the module explicitly.  There have
> been one of two cases where modules got autoloaded in 2.4 and are not in
> 2.6.
>
> David
> >    CONFIG_CHR_DEV_OSST=m
> >    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR=m
> >    # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR_VENDOR is not set
> >    CONFIG_CHR_DEV_SG=m
> >
> >    #
> >    # Some SCSI devices (e.g. CD jukebox) support multiple LUNs
> >    #
> >    CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN=y
> >    # CONFIG_SCSI_REPORT_LUNS is not set
> >    CONFIG_SCSI_CONSTANTS=y
> >    CONFIG_SCSI_LOGGING=y

Yes, I rebooted back into 2.6.3, and `st' was *NOT* loaded; but, this
works:

   sudo modprobe st

Now, lsmod shows that it is loaded, AND I can access /dev/nst0 !?!?

I have reviewed module-init-tools ; but, I do not see anything there
that I am missing.  I will upgrade from 3.0-pre9-1 to 3.0-pre10-1 after
I post this.

What else can I do to automate loading of `st'?

--
Best Regards,

mds
mds resource