Re: USB NICs

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 09:24:02AM -0500, stan wrote:
> I replaced a PCI NIC with a USB one this weekend, adn when the machine
> boots the networking does not come up any more.
>
> If I run the networking init.d script (stop and satr) then networking
> comes up fine. My suspcion is that the networking init script is run
> before the USB NIC is set up.
>
> dmesg is not a lot of help here, as this is all handled in the init
> scripts _after_ teh kernel finishes booting. There doesn't seem to be
> a log file that contains all the post kernel init boot stuff. Can I
> cause one to be created?
>
> Anyone have any sugestiosn as to how to start troubleshooting this?

IIRC, by default networking starts at rcS.d/S40 and if you're using
hotplug it's not started until rcX.d/S11 (where X is your runlevel).
So, yes, networking does start before hotplug has a chance to load your
USB modules.  However, module-init-tools is run at rcS.d/S20 which is
before networking.  So, if you list the necessary modules for your USB
NIC in /etc/modules, they should be loaded prior to network startup.

--
Jamin W. Collins

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. --Aldous Huxley,
"Proper Studies", 1927