Re: kernel panic

Hello

la2 (<_la2_@tut.by>) wrote:

>   I compiled kernel 2.4.18, Installed it.
>   When I try to boot, it prints : "kernel panic: VFS: cannot mount
>   root on 03:06".
>   My MBR is on /dev/hda, Debian is on /dev/hda6.
>   BTW before when i compiled the same kernel all had succeded.

You forgot to compile either support for your boot hardware (likely IDE
support) and/or support for your root file system into the kernel. If
you want to compile the drivers as modules, use an initrd and don't
forget to compile support for the initrd into the kernel.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674
Registered Linux User #267976