Re: kernel panic

On Sun, 2004-03-07 at 19:24, la2 wrote:
> Hello debian-user,
>
>   HELP!
>   I compiled kernel 2.4.18, Installed it.
>   When I try to boot, it prints : "kernel panic: VFS: cannot mount root
>   on 03:06".
>   My MBR is on /dev/hda, Debian is on /dev/hda6.
>   BTW before when i compiled the same kernel all had succeded.

Are you are using a filesystem other than ext2/3 on /dev/hda6? If so,
its possble that you forgot to compile support for that filesystem into
your kernel.

Have you made any hardware or partition changes?

To recover, you should be able to boot the original kernel image by
selecting it at the LILO prompt (you did leave your original kernel in
your LILO config, right?). If not, you can boot using your woody install
CD by selecting a rescue kernel at the boot prompt and passing
root=/dev/hda6 to it.

-davidc