Re: Debian Slow?

On Sat, 2004-03-06 at 13:09, Osamu Aoki wrote:

> > > Have you made sure you're using DMA access on all your drives?
> >
> > First thing I did on install. Double checked the other night, just in case.
>
> 10 folds change for seemingly non-cpu-intensive/disk-intensive task
> still suggests something about disk access issues.
>
>  * Do you have the same issue if you change filesystem to other filesystem?
>  * Did you verify disk mode with "hdparm -I /dev/hda"?
>  * Even when I boot very slow live-CD based system, I only get a second
>    to see the menu.  And human can only see 1/30 seconds.  Aren't you
>    over stating??  You have a fast system.

I dumped in XFCE4, and found things to go a lot faster, even loading the
same applications.

Anyway, on the speed front, I discovered that gconfd-2 is/was chewing
through around 40 MB (!) of ram, and magicdev was taking up another 16
or so. This doesn't seem right.

I tried creating a new user with the same theme as the machines at
varsity, and it runs pretty well - it's not quite as fast, but given
that it was running along side my own users session, and therefore
digging into swap, it seemed quite fast enough. So - something in my
config is apparently broken, but I'm not sure where to go from here.
I've deleted all the extra junk out of my home directory, but it doesn't
seem to make much difference.

Edward