Re: Debian Slow?

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 03:36:13PM +1300, edward@murrell.co.nz wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 01:47:01PM +1300, edward@murrell.co.nz wrote:
> >>
> >> Given this, I'd expect the machines to be fairly similar in speed.
> >> While I know that gentoo does optimize stuff, and it does result in
> >> performance gains, It shouldn't make that much difference. Things like
> >> GNOME and Nautilus start somewhere in the order of 10 to 15 times
> >> faster than on my machine at home.
> >
> > Have you made sure you're using DMA access on all your drives?
>
> First thing I did on install. Double checked the other night, just in case.

10 folds change for seemingly non-cpu-intensive/disk-intensive task
still suggests something about disk access issues.

 * Do you have the same issue if you change filesystem to other filesystem?
 * Did you verify disk mode with "hdparm -I /dev/hda"?
 * Even when I boot very slow live-CD based system, I only get a second
   to see the menu.  And human can only see 1/30 seconds.  Aren't you
   over stating??  You have a fast system.