Re: Configuring X in Debian Woody 3.0 r1

On Sun, 2004-03-07 at 17:48, Kent West wrote:
> HectorScaramelli wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I need help on learning how to install Debian so I can start X with any
> >desired window manager ie. icevwm, blackbox by default.
> >
> Are you asking how to install Debian, or are you asking how to startx
> with your preferred wm? Assuming the latter.
Your assumption is correct.

> >Or any suggestion on which would be the best installation process.
> >Or please lead me to a detailed HowTo.
> >I don't want gnome or kde just a fast, non-heavy window manager like
> >icewvm or blackbox.
> >

> You can set this on a user-by-user basis by creating a file in the
> user's home directory named ".xinitrc", and put the name of your
> preferred wm in that file. Here's what mine looks like, which startx KDE:
>
> westk[@westkent]:/home/westk:> cat .xinitrc
> #sawfish &
> #icewm
> #gnome-session
> startkde
> #flwm &
> #blackbox &
> #fvwm95 &
> #larswm &
> #galeon
> #fvwm95
> #xterm
> #gnome-panel &
> #twm
> #wmaker
> #xfwm

I don't have any right now. Can I have this done by the installation
process? I didn't request kde when installing for the first time.

> If you want to change it system-wide, I believe you'll need to change
> the symlink /etc/alternatives/x-window-manager; you can do so by running
> "update-alternatives --config x-window-manager", and/or
> /etc/alternatives/x-session-manager (with "update-alternatives --config
> x-session-manager").
>
> You could also install KDM which is a graphical login screen, which will
> give you a choice of which wm to start (I don't believe xdm or wdm
> offers the choice; I _think_ gdm does, but I'm not sure).

Yes gdm does it and I have been able to run blackbox within gnome but
could'n get rid of the gnome desktop.

Thanks
Hector