Re: Configuring X in Debian Woody 3.0 r1

HectorScaramelli wrote:

Hi,

I need help on learning how to install Debian so I can start X with any
desired window manager ie. icevwm, blackbox by default.

Are you asking how to install Debian, or are you asking how to startx with your preferred wm? Assuming the latter.

Or any suggestion on which would be the best installation process.
Or please lead me to a detailed HowTo. I don't want gnome or kde just a fast, non-heavy window manager like
icewvm or blackbox.
You can set this on a user-by-user basis by creating a file in the user's home directory named ".xinitrc", and put the name of your preferred wm in that file. Here's what mine looks like, which startx KDE:

westk[@westkent]:/home/westk:> cat .xinitrc
#sawfish &
#icewm
#gnome-session
startkde
#flwm &
#blackbox &
#fvwm95 &
#larswm &
#galeon
#fvwm95
#xterm
#gnome-panel &
#twm
#wmaker
#xfwm

If you want to change it system-wide, I believe you'll need to change the symlink /etc/alternatives/x-window-manager; you can do so by running "update-alternatives --config x-window-manager", and/or /etc/alternatives/x-session-manager (with "update-alternatives --config x-session-manager").

You could also install KDM which is a graphical login screen, which will give you a choice of which wm to start (I don't believe xdm or wdm offers the choice; I _think_ gdm does, but I'm not sure).

--
Kent