Re: Debian Slow?

Joseph <linux@sys-concept.com> writes:

> On Sat, 2004-03-06 at 23:16, Brian Nelson wrote:
>> Karol Czachorowski <narel@fantastyka.net> writes:

>> > Gentoo is much faster than debian.
>
> Somebody did some comparison recently between Debian, Gentoo and RedHat
> I think (though I don't know the link anymore) and it turns out that
> Gentoo is not much faster at all and in some cases it was ever slower
> than Debian.

Yes, because many higher level optimizations can actually make code run
significantly slower.  Whether you can get any benefit at all largely
depends on the specific code you're compiling.  Having globally
configurable optimization settings makes absolutely no sense--they
should only be used on a per-application basis.

Per-processor optimizations are largely useless as well, probably since
GCC is not able to take advantage of the additional instructions in an
effective way.

See http://www.coyotegulch.com/acovea/ for an interesting study of GCC
optimizations.

--