Re: Debian Slow?

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 01:47:01PM +1300, edward@murrell.co.nz wrote:
> I'm starting to wonder how much difference gentoo's optimization
> actually makes.

Gentoo is much faster than debian. Generally every new distro is faster,
cause other distros has i586 or higher optimalization (while debian has
i386). It gives a lot in X applications (but also in others) - better
memory use, take advantages of many processor specific instructions etc.

To speed up my debian I have many packages rebuilded with optimalization
flags. But sometimes it's hard to pass flags to compilator. And
apt-build is definitely not good for that task. It will be very usefull
to standarize it for debian (e.g. adds few lines in every package in
debian/rules file with commands to overwrite defaults flags for
compilers).

But if your debian box is much much slower than gentoo, maybe it's
problem with your configuration. I recommend you to check DMA settings
for your hard drives- it could be significant for performance.

Karol
--
|       Karol Czachorowski <narel(at)fantastyka.net>    |
|       JID: narel(at)jabber.org           GG: 2786028  |