Re: Where is XFREE86

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 15:41:09 +0100,
David Baron <d_baron@012.net.il> wrote in message
<[🔎] 200403071541.09059.d_baron@012.net.il>:

> On Sunday 07 March 2004 12:36,
> debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org wrote:
> > Just run "apt-get install x-window-system" as root.
>
> This wants to install 9 (count 'em) NEW!! pieces. OK, 4.3.05 and last
> upgrade did 4.3.03, but .. what have I been running X until now?
>
> Also note that xfree86 and -common are NOT on this list but part of
> the upgrade.
>
> Seeing all the problems there have been recently with X, before I take
> this plunge (hopefully not a dive):
>
> 1. Will these nine new installs correct some of the problems or will
> they create more.

..usually correct.  Use apt-get -u update for a more verbose update.

> 2. XFree is now up to 4.4. Wait for this or go with everything 4.3.05
> now?

..go for 4.3.0-5 now, unless the new bad 1.1 licence changes, 4.4
is not going to be part of any Linux distro I am aware of, it is not
GPL compatible.  It _is_ gonna be a while, either the license changes,
to become CPL compatible, or XFree86 will be forked.
Google for the details, this is also dicussed in Debian-legal.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: