Re: base system, no x windows yet,HOW?

Dear Mr.Kent West,

>ts wrote:

>>westkDear Mr. Kent West,
>>

>>Thanks for your  reply!
>>

>A couple of suggestions:
>* Keep posts on the lists rather than switching to private mail (unless
>the posts drift off-topic). This allows other people who may know the
>answer to contribute; it also allows other people looking for the same
>answers to see them or find them in the archives.
>* Don't top-post. Reply in conversational style, so that anyone coming
>into the thread in the middle can read from top to bottom in the order
>in which posts were made.

I'll obey and follow it.
>>Your adivices 're realy helpful, by typing   " lspci" system indicated the NIC is 8139too,  at "eth0"...
>>it's available under /lib/modules/kernel 2.4.18/kernel.
>>

>So "modprobe 8139too" should load the module, and "lsmod" should show
>the module as listed. Now you'll need to restart networking (or reboot)
>with "/etc/init.d/networking restart". This assumes you have your
>network defined properly in /etc/network/interfaces.

it prompted error messages following "modprobe 8139too".    "modprobe RTL-8139".
"can't locate module 8139too."
    "can't locate module RTL-8139."

>>But when I tried to ping my local ISP, ended up with no reply, within  Lan "ping 192.168.1.2" it did respond.
>>

>I'm assuming 192.168.1.2 is a different machine on your LAN, and not the
>machine you're having issues with? Were you pinging your local ISP by
>name or by number? If by name, I suspect that /etc/resolv.conf does not
>have proper DNS entries. If by number, we'll need to know more about how
>your LAN is setup (straight to modem? going through a router? are you
>getting dhcp addresses or using static? etc), and this is where keeping
>your posts on the list will help, as I'm no networking guru.

there're two NIC networking cards embeded with EPOX-8RDA3G MB.in fact ,  "ping 192.168.1.0" it responds as well.
I ping local ISP by IP number, the Lan was set up via ADSL modem working under router mood( being set as gateway:192.168.1.1), surely it's set into static( under mandrake9.1 i set the same configuration, it works well).

>* Different topics should probably go into different email threads.
>
>>Do you think I should  download   the  tar file (NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0261.tar.gz )
>>From(http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/nforce/1.0-0261/NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0261.tar.gz) or
>>Source RPM	 file (NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0261.src.rpm) from (http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/nforce/1.0-0261/NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0261.src.rpm) and install it   and  thus set proper configuration of  EPOX-8RDA3G MB& its NIC lan?
>>

>If the 8139too module installed properly without errors, I suspect
>that's all you'll need; you just need to finish getting the rest of the
>network configured properly. Of course, I could be wrong, and the
>8139too module may be failing silently, in which case you might need to
>resort to the nforce drivers. I just don't know. (Another reason for
>keeping your posts on the list, for others more experienced with nforce
>boards might have some input.)
>
>>BY the way how should I configure  /etc/apt/sources.list ? is  edit it under "VI" enough to handle the task?
>>

>Any text editor, including "vi", will work fine. I personally prefer
>"nano", but that's just personal preference.
>
>Mine looks like so (but notice that I'm running unstable):
>
>> westk[@westk03]:/home/westk> cat /etc/apt/sources.list
>>
>> deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stable main non-free contrib
>> deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib
>> non-free