To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: base system, no x windows yet,HOW?
From: Andreas Janssen <andreas.janssen@bigfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 17:17:31 +0100
Sender: news <news@sea.gmane.org>

Hello

ts (<tshew@flashmail.com>) wrote:

> At first I ventured into debian installation ( via networking)again,
> the embeded LAN chips(RTL8201BL , RTL8101L)  of current EPOX-8RDA3G
> motherboard (nforce2 Ultra 400 +MCP   chipsets) can't be detected
> whatever kernel driver modules I set on.
>
> later on I  nearly  fulfilled debian's installation from hard disk  by
> downloading "rescue.bin"&"root.bin"(from
> http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/...ges-1.44/bf2.4/ ) "drivers.tgz"(
> from http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/.../current/bf2.4/)
> "basedebs.tar"-27M (from
> http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/....23-2002-07-18/) and following
> up the prompts. .
> Now it's only a base system, I can login under console....
> no x windows yet ,  what left packages should I download & install
> under console ?is it possible to make  networking chips work and make
> rest of installation via network and upgrade kernel to latest 2.6.3?
> and how to do it under console with commands?

Yes. First, set up your network card. Check if maybe the driver is built
into the kernel. Read the output of dmesg. If the driver is built as a
module, check groups.google.com to find out which one you need. After
setting up your network connection, add a Debian server to your
/etc/apt/sources.list. Read the installation manual to get more
information: <http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/install>

Using Kernel 2.6 however is quite complicated, because some packages in
Woody are too old to be used with 2.6. You can get newer versions, for
example from backports.org, but it means replacing some important
packages.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674