Re: unexplained network problems

At 02:11 PM 3/6/2004, Kevin Buhr wrote:

Oh, I see you found the logs.

Yes, except your explanation of the relationship between kernel and syslog is most welcome and educational so thanks, just finished reading it.

BTW am I left to writing my own script if I wanted to grep the syslog for a certain date that's already been archived or is there a command out there to do this kind of thing already?

I now see that the driver only writes information about transmission errors when its debug flag is set higher than the
default.

Where do you see that Kevin? And since I suspect an ongoing problem would it make sense for me to change this to possibly capture more errors than now, and if so, how?

Now that your machine's been running for a while without trouble, does the "ifconfig" output show any accumulated transmission errors?

I don't see anything:

woody:~# ifconfig eth0
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:A0:CC:40:3E:9B
          inet addr:192.168.0.3  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          RX bytes:2033197 (1.9 MiB)  TX bytes:1423412 (1.3 MiB)
          Interrupt:11 Base address:0xe400

woody:~#

If not, I think your best bet is to try swapping cards with your wife's machine to determine whether it's really a hardware or software problem.

Maybe this is a stupid way for me to approach it, but that definitely seems like much more work than just waiting for a third occurrence of the problem. And if it happens a third time the same way then I would next try an hourly cron something like this {psuedo code only}

- ifconfig eth0 | grep  (errors > 0)
        then    ifdown -eth0 &&
                ifup -eth0 &&
echo "@`date` had to repair eth0 due to $errors detected error(s)"
        else    echo "@`date` no problems found
                        > /var/log/checketh0.log

Not that swapping the cards is /that/ big a deal but I actually enjoy programming and only do hardware when I have no other choice. :}

Marty Landman   Face 2 Interface Inc.   845-679-9387
FormATable  DB: http://face2interface.com/Products/FormATable.shtml
Free Formmailer: http://face2interface.com/Products/Formal.shtml