RE: Maxtor IDE controller cards not working

I cannot MAKEDEV hmo.  I get a "/sbin/MAKEDEV:don't know how to make device
"hmo"  Would mknod help here ?  I am at the fringes of my Linux knowledge,
so I am learning as I go along.  On my Sunblade 100 running Debian Woody as
well as another box running Debian I get the same message.  Is there a limit
to devices - perhaps in the kernel ?

On the box in question I am running a hacked version of Debian called
"Libranet" but other than some nice GUI apps, it seems that Libranet is just
Woody plus some of Sarge's most popular apps (samba, apache, etc).

Greg