Re: SATA Debian support

On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 03:03:39PM +0000, Paulo Silva wrote:
| Hi all,
|
| I'm going to buy a new computer and I was wondering if there is any
| support in the kernel for the new SATA controllers. I'm thinking in
| acquiring an Asus P4P8X motherboard with an Intel ICH5 SATA Chipset.

Supposedly it should work :
    http://lkml.org/lkml/2003/10/1/147

| Anyone has experience with this kind of hardware?

Not yet.  My new machine at work is supposed to arrive sometime in the
next two weeks.

| Does the SATA technology really turns disk access faster?

In theory, at least.  The basis isn't a different disk but a different
interface for moving data between the disk and the CPU.  I guess the
PATA (Parallel ATA is the traditional 80-pin IDE cable) protocol has
just about reached its theoretical limit for performance, and the
design of the SATA protocol overcomes those limitations.

-D

--
> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0
0 rows returned