[HELP] Machine "sleeps" so cron-jobs and shutdown don't work.

Hi

I have a problem with my machine. If I leave it for some time it seems
that it starts "sleeping" so that neither cron-jobs work nor shutdown
-h

Example: I sat today up a cronjob to start at 15:00. I went at 14:20 and
I came back at 16:12. The machine was locked with xscreensaver. When I
got back and logged inn the maqchine started running the cron-job it
should have started at 15:00.

Example 2: I wanted that the machine should do some calculations for me
so I started: shutdown -h 23:00 and went ome at 19:00. Next day when I
came back the shutdown had stopped when there was 45 minutes left. After
I had logged inn the shutdown started up again.

Can somebody explain what is happening. I guess it must be something
with ACPI and APM ?

I have enabled in my kernel: Local APIC  support on uniprocessoirs and
IO-APIC support on uniprocessors. Can it be this that makes my machine
"sleep"?

When it comes to power-saving I expect that shutdown and cron still
works...

Any hints much appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Preben Randhol