Re: static ip to dhcp conversion -- getting a hostname

At 05:31 PM 3/5/2004, Alan Shutko wrote:

You'll have to stop getting the email address from the form.

Ok, that sounds like a good idea. What I'm working on with this new release is a web installer, so putting the recipient address in the code isn't a problem. I do think it would be more proper to put it on a server file, somewhere on the web dir's parent dir. This is just a little harder for me to code into the installer app but I think a nicer implementation since it allows the webmaster to easily change the send-to address. Maybe a bit less secure, unless I do something like embed a generated key at install time.

* Hardcode the destination address in the script

Or on a non-web accessible file with an authentication key - unless you see that as less secure.

* Hardcode multiple addresses in the script, and have a token in the
  form specify which address to mail to.  For example, if the form
  says address=FOO, you look it up $addresses[FOO] to get
  "support@wherever".

What's the advantage here? Security through obscurity?

* Just discontinue the script, and have people use formmail.  That
  way, the security burden is on someone else

Heh, you think the situation's really that bad huh Alan?

BTW, how do server side ENV vars get spoofed? I mean I've changed them for programmatic reasons within programs I've written, but to do this otherwise wouldn't you need a wrapper around the software... in which case you might as well send the email yourself.

Marty Landman   Face 2 Interface Inc.   845-679-9387
FormATable  DB: http://face2interface.com/Products/FormATable.shtml
Free Formmailer: http://face2interface.com/Products/Formal.shtml